Friday, February 16, 2007

Feeling Indigo... (AKA Not Quite Feeling Blue)

OK I guess I need to give an explanation about my last post.

After the shock of receiving the news of a fellow pastor's death from suicide, I spent a lot of time thinking about what leads people to make that decision. For many, depression is a cause. Because of my time with depression, I realized that it has been the grace of God that has helped me through these darker times... because I've never considered suicide and cannot ever imagine any reason to consider it. And now that I am well on my way to healing... and very seldom experience the despair I once lived with... I believe I have even less chance of risk in this area.

But I also realized that there are many others (pastors and non-clergy alike) who do struggle with depression and are at risk. And I hoped that by sharing my story of how God has led me to sources of help and hope in the lifting of my depression, that perhaps someone might also have a chance to see that there IS hope! Because there IS help!

Unfortunately, some who read my post thought I was trying to give a 'cry for help.' I am honored and awed by the folks who've read my post and then have called to see if I'm OK. One even called my district superintendent to see if they should be worried about me. (Truthfully, I hadn't even realized that so many read my blog!)
So, to summarize: I'm not feeling as blue as I used to. I'm a shade or two away from blue nowadays (thus the 'indigo' in my title of this posting!!) And you've proven my point that God really has surrounded me with some GREAT people who DO care. THANKS!!!

MEANWHILE...
On the way home from the funeral today, I was in an accident. I think it was my fault... but I don't know. Either I fell asleep for a moment or I blacked out for a moment, but I crossed the center line and struck another car head-on, nicking the headlight of a parked truck while I was at it. I can remember the 'crash' part of it as the airbag deployed. NOTHING before that (other than driving down the road). For several minutes I just sort of sat there dazed... unable to think of what I was supposed to do next. Then, with help from someone outside, we got my door open and I got out.

We all walked away from the experience and, other than seat belt strain and bruising, I think I'm physically fine. Much better than the cars I'm afraid. My van (the one I just got after I was rear-ended by someone else in October, just a few months ago) is probably totaled. I'm certain the little red car I hit is a loss as well. The parked truck should be ok... with a bit of help.

Mostly, I feel embarrassed. And grateful that no one was hurt.

No comments: